The Cathedral Church of St Nicholas is a Church of England cathedral in Newcastle upon Tyne, England. It is the seat of the Bishop of Newcastle and is the mother church of the Diocese of Newcastle, the most northerly diocese of the Anglican Church in England, which reaches from the River Tyne as far north as Berwick-upon-Tweed and as far west as Alston in Cumbria. The cathedral is named after St Nicholas, the patron saint of sailors and boats. The Cathedral dates back to the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries, erected in 1470 it is topped with a crown like structure or turrets and arches that support a lantern. Inside the Cathedral behind the high altar lies one of the largest funeral brasses in all of England, it was commissioned by Roger Thornton, the Dick Whittington of Newcastle who arrived at the city of Newcastle without a penny to his name and died its richest merchant in 1430.