Our son died after eating a Deliveroo pizza – he could have been saved by something so simple, we’re devastated

THE heartbroken parents of a man who died after eating a pizza ordered on Deliveroo said he could have been saved by simple changes to the app.

James Atkinson, 23, tragically died after ordering a takeaway pizza from Dadyal Restaurant in Newcastle as he suffered a suspected allergic reaction.


James Atkinson died of a suspected severe allergic reaction after ordering a pizza from from Dadyal Restaurant in Newcastle[/caption]

The computer science graduate from Leeds had an allergy to peanuts – and his family said that takeaways now need to have more “upfront” information about ingredients.

A pre-inquest review into his death is due to open on Tuesday at Newcastle Coroners Court after his family were told he might have suffered a severe reaction.

Gulfam Ulhaq, believed to have been the restaurant owner, said at the time that the order was placed online through Deliveroo and the website contained “very clear” information regarding allergens.

The “restaurant notes” section for Dadyal had a “cross-contamination notice” for peanuts, Deliveroo sources have said.



Doctors told me to have an abortion as I was too fat, it’s my biggest regret

Mr Atkinson’s parents said their son was “conscientious” about checking ingredients.

His devastated dad Stuart told the Sunday Times: “We’d like to see a simple system where it comes up with a tick box before you make the order – do you have an allergy, yes or no?

“If you tick yes then it instructs you to contact the restaurant by telephone.

“Allergy information is always hidden away. It needs to be upfront.”

His mum Jill added: “What everybody needs is a clear, full list of ingredients on every item on a takeaway menu and a sticker on the takeaway box saying the allergens it contains.

“We’ll never know if that would have saved James, but it might have done… we just don’t want this to happen to another family.”

The 23-year-old studied at Newcastle University, and after graduating he stayed in the city and lived with friends.

Following his tragic death, the restaurant was immediately suspended from Deliveroo in July 2020.

Environmental health officials and police then confirmed it could trade again later that month.

The app has now urged customers to contact restaurants directly to ask about ingredients and cooking methods, which are displayed in the “restaurant info” section at the top of its menus.

A Deliveroo spokesperson said: “This is a tragedy and our thoughts are with the family and friends of the young man who so sadly passed away.

“Deliveroo has been in contact with the police, who confirmed that the company has acted properly at all times, and continues to comply fully with this investigation.

“The company will co-operate in full with the coroner’s inquest and will share all information requested by the coroner.

“We are committed to doing all we possibly can to assist this investigation and our hearts go out to all those involved.”

Read More on The Sun


Nick Cave’s son Jethro dies aged 31 – second tragedy to hit family in 7yrs


I got naked for Gazza, it was the best experience of my life, says stripper

Mr Ulhaq told the BBC in 2020: “I was really shocked when police told me he had passed away and that he was only 23 years old. It is very, very sad. We are all in shock.”

Dadyal has been contacted for further comment.

The Sun Newcastle upon Tyne